Feb 13, 2009

~ Be Mine ~

Valentine's Day - can it make or break a relationship? I hope not. Hub came home tonight and announced that he'd considered buying flowers, but knew I'd think that was a waste of money. True. If you want to spend money on me, do it in the form of a gift card to my top 100 favorite stores. He did win points a few weeks ago when I was very stressed. Came home with a huge box of Truffles. You know, those chocolate pieces of delightful heaven. However, then he lost points for the weight loss factor. Those babies have 250 each. EACH!! So nice try but no cigar.

What is your definition of love?

If given the note...."If you love me check the box"...which would you check?

I consider the forms of love I give. None too mushy or sloppy. Not in my nature. No poems, skipping or endless gazing. That just dries your eyes out. I love in service...providing a home, life and security for my children. I was given that growing up. I love in action....hugs, kisses and words of encouragement. I love in loyalty...those within my circle know how I feel and that I'd never hurt them intentionally. I love in laughter...humor is sometimes a cover for me, but more often just fun. I'm trying harder to love in total acceptance. Trying harder to love without reserve.

In turn I've been loved and am loved in various ways. I've checked the box on a few notes. In my history some of the most meaningful gifts of love have been simple. At 16 received a box of crayons from a boyfriend. Still have those crayons. At 17 a mix tape. Oh, the mix tape....hours of listening to each song that he picked out specifically for you and hoped that it would portray his every thought. Or at least copied all of the Chicago songs and put your name on the cassette. Only been the receiver of two mixed tapes. One decent....the other better.

As a mother the love comes in messy, sticky and often glittery forms. All given with glowing expectant eyes, all put on the fridge. In our home the gifts don't often make it to the day they are meant to celebrate. Secret keepers my children are not. S is especially bad and often gives her tokens of love days early....just can't hold it in any longer.

T is on the fence with the love equation. Too big to let your mother love you? Sometimes. S is more like me....loves completely but often doesn't know how to show it adequately. O is my lovey boy...snugly, affectionate. J is a quicky boy. Comes for a kiss and a millisecond hug that has the feeling of "okay, that's enough of that". All give in their own ways.

And the hub....I didn't know going into marriage that love had highs and lows. I didn't know that you could love and not always like. I didn't know that love could be shown by watching football together, unloading a dishwasher without being asked, not shrinking my jeans and telling the kids to give mom some alone time. I didn't know that giving the option of "this is it...take it or leave it...." would be endearing when he chose to 'take it as it is".

To old love and new love.

Happy Valentines Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment