Jan 14, 2008

~ Sick....again ~

I'm sick again....what the heck?!?!?!? I'm usually very healthy and rarely get sick at all. But my kids have been awake a lot in the night, which means I'm awake. I get run down, and my immune system weakens, and I start getting migraines again. So craporama, I'm sick again.

So Friday night I was invited to play in a 3 on 3 basketball tournament. First of all let's make is very clear, I am not a good basketball player. I'm 5'8", so people have always assumed that since I've got a bit of height that I play.....no no no. I chased boys in high school, not a basketball. I think Cheryl, the organizer, was desperate for bodies so she called me. I've been out to play at the weekly girls game night at the church, but I do a lot of talking and not a lot of shooting. In fact I do A LOT of talking, it's to make up for my lack of skill. Anyway, it was fun. The first game we got our butts kicked, as there were some girls on the other team that were there to really play, not just have a fun time. The second game was pretty fun though. We were a little more evenly matched and knew each other pretty well.

Though I had fun, I've been regretting it ever since. First of all, I'm a runner. So my motion is all forward. Basketball is not all forward, we were playing half court so there was no running really. My legs and butt are KILLING me. I'm walking like a zombie. Owen even said to me as he's watching me try to climb the stairs, "Why are you walking like that Mommy?" "Oh because mommy thinks she's tougher than she is...and is now finding out that she's not back in shape yet". The tournament was supposed to be Friday night and Saturday. I didn't make it to the Saturday games. I woke up with a really sore and swollen throat, which is even worse today. I should have done better on the Saturday as they played full court and I could have put my running into use. Whatever. I never professed to be a good player.

I've been getting comments lately that my blog isn't quite what it used to be. The slightly offensive, mostly "hit the nail on the head" comments that everyone else thinks but only I say. So since I'm not working today, I make my own schedule so I think I should be able to play hooky when I can hardly talk because my throat is so swollen. I thought I'd bring back the glory of my cynical self. Lucky you!!

1. I don't understand piercings. I know I've said this before....but really what is the point. You have holes in your skin.....whoa you must be tough. I think it's even more interesting on girls. What exactly are you trying to say about yourself. I'm tough than you because I can take the pain of nails being driven into my skin. In this basketball tournament on the weekend, there was a girl there with a bunch of piercings. She was a good player, definitely a committed athlete. The had the body and the Lulu lemon clothes to prove it. But she had a piercing at the back of her neck...like right at the top of your collar. That's a new one, haven't seen one there before. So we're playing, well she's playing and I'm staying out of her way so she can just get the basket and not hurt me in the process....and all the sudden she run to her friend saying...."Ow ow, help me, my hair is caught on my piercing."


2. I'm shopping over the holidays.....by myself, a rare treat. In line, a pretty long line since it's boxing week sales. The family behind me is yelling at their kids....not scolding, not sternly warning...Yelling. I've gotten pretty angry at my kids in public, they can put on quite a show when they want something...and I've hauled them out of places none too sweetly...but at the top of my lungs yelling at them....wow. Through the course of the yelling it comes out the possibly they're acting like hellions because it's 2:00, they haven't had lunch and they've been in the mall for 5 hours. Huh, what was your first clue?

3. My next favorite thing is when people allow their children to run around store. Run...like playing tag in between all the racks of clothing. They're off in dream world and the kids are dodging through the mannequins. Shouldn't there be a course or certificate you need to have with the following prerequisites to being a parent.

a) Wipe noses within 3 minutes of the drip actually reaching their mouth and the tongue being used as a windshield wiper.

b) Stripes and flowers do not go together as an outfit.

3) Sweatpants are not church appropriate attire.

4) "You're it" and grocery store are not compatible.

5) The higher the decibel of your disciple does not prove to people that you are a good parents, even if you're disciplining in Wal-Mart.

4. I have a huge pet pieve with people talking out loud during church. We teach our children constantly about revernce, and yet parents spend the entire meeting doing any communication in their outside voice. Do you think no one can hear you? So there are three teenage boys sitting behind us yesterday, and no parents. I knew it wasn't going to turn out well. Sure enough, they talk out loud the whole meeting. It's very distracting. You're trying not to listen to their conversation, but how can you not. It was physically refraining myself from turning around with a sweet smile and shushing them. But one of them has a mother that if she saw me doing that, I'd be tried and convicted for child abuse. So I grimmed and bared it. But really.....you're in a church meeting and my 15mo old is quieter.

5. Why do husbands think that practise makes perfect? Practising more is not going to make a cuter child. It's genetics not rehersal.

6. Since the writers are on strike, many of my favorite shows have gone off the air. So I've taken the time to check out some new ones....or at least PVR some new ones. Since I've been sick the last couple days....I've watched some. First of all Miss America Reality Check. Let me start by saying that I could take notes and make multiple blogs entries about this show. They're all pretty and thin, I'll give them that. But don't tell me that there is a stigma against Pageant girls that is unwarranted. Watch this show, it's worth the laugh.
7. Some of my favorite shows at the moment. Jon & Kate plus 8. I so 'get' this mom. She and Jon have almost the identical relatinship to Brian and I. I have also been told this about Ray and Debra on Everybody loves Raymond. People think we are snappy with each other a lot. It's just how we are....we're actually pretty big fans of one another. Next...Men in Trees. I like this show, good looking guys....simple story....I enjoy it. Of course there's Greys, and ER and Prison Break (which is getting more and more disappointing lately). I never really got into 24 or Lost...always catch up with the DVD sets later, my BIL has them all.
8. In addition to TV I've also been catching up on movies over the holidays. This week we watched 3:10 to Yuma, Rescue Dawn and Wild Hogs. All decent. Then I watched on my own....The Illusionist and the The Prestige. Which quite frankly, are quite similiar. Anyway, nothing witty about either of those points....just some info on my entertainment choices lately.
9. The brain is still fuzzy from all the drugs....so I'm stopping here today. Will attempt to get back to my usual shocking self next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment