May 24, 2007

~ The hidden runner in me ~

8 weeks ago the Herald started a section that was called "Zero to 5K in 8 weeks" It is a step by step program to take anyone from their couch to the track. I was relieved to finally find a program that I could follow. So every week a new segment would be printed to up the intensity and length of my run. I've done the running every week since the very begginning, and though I'm still stuck on week 4 of the program...I'm definately seeing an improvement. My cardio recovery is a lot better, and I'm up to 2.5 miles, 4 times per week. So for those of you that might need that extra boost to get on the treadmill, or hit the open road...here is what I've been doing. I didn't know how much I'd love running. I set the boys up for a cartoon, plug in the mp3 with some Nickleback and hit the treadmill for 30-35 minutes. Try it, you'll love it.



Week 1

Walking should be done at a quick pace, like you were late for an appointment. Running should be done so that you can talk or recite the alphabet while you're going. Do on non-consecutive days.


Session 1

Walk 10 minutes

Run 30 seconds walk 1 minutes x 8

Walk 5 minutes

Total Workout Time: 27 min


Session 2

Walk 20 min

Run 30 sec, walk 1 min x 4

Walk 4 minutes

Total Workout Time: 30 min


Session 3

Walk 10 min

Run 30 sec, walk 30 sec x 12

Walk 5 min

Total Workout Time: 27 min


I found I could skip over the first couple weeks, as I'm not 700 pounds on the couch all day. So I already had the endurance. However, my knees gave me trouble originally as I'm trying to lose weight. So my joints aren't used to running with the extra weight I'm carrying. So take it slow. I've lost 1 pound per week. Nothing dramatic, but apparantly the safe way to lose weight. Whatever...I think once you've decided it's time to lose weight, it should just happen. ; - )

Break a dripping sweat 3-4 times per week, that's my goal. Been great so far, looking to get to the final goal of running straight for 30 minutes...not there yet.


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment