Apr 20, 2011

One extreme to the other...

May I never repeat a day like yesterday.

So...I lost my job a while ago...and it's been my new job to find a job.  This has proven harder than I was expecting.  There are a lot of jobs I'm qualified for,  also a lot of competition.  Plus this opportunity (if that's what you call it) has given me a chance to change my career path a bit.  It's also been very difficult..blah blah,  moving on.

Yesterday I have two interviews set up.  Great, I've had a few interviews,  none have panned out to a position I want, and a few times I've been scheduled for an interview and then get a call the morning of saying that they've decided I'm over qualified.  WHAT?!  Then why did you call me in the first place?  Did my resume change since the first time you read it?  Seriously,  this has happened more than once.

Anyway,  my morning is planned out,  I need to leave the house around 11 for a few errands,  have lunch with my husband...then head to the first interview at 1:00.  Great,  no problem...hunky dunky.  So I'm putting the two addresses into the GPS that husband has left on the kitchen counter for me.  Get my phone and look up the calendar to get the addresses.  Phone says first interview is at 11,  not 1:00.  This might have been fine,  except it's 10:15...and I live in Cochrane,  and I have wet hair still.  Panic.  I call the lady and leave a message..."My brain says 1:00,  but my phone says 11:00.  Can you please call me back and confirm the time".  She does,  it's 11.  Crapola!

So she's flexible and says I can come for 11:30,  no problem,  these things happen.  Still,  not the best first impression.  Fortunately I had already phone interviewed with them and they had narrowed the field down to the 3,  and I was in the group.  So she still wants to talk with me.  Mega fast hair drying and straightening,  and shoot out the door.

Handy GPS says I'll get there in time.  Okay breathe.

Driving along Deerfoot,  no problemo...didn't have the sound on the GPS going.  I don't turn it on until I'm getting close,  I don't need her to tell me to keep driving on Deerfoot.  So I turn it on,  and find out I'm missing the turn,  cause the sun was shining on the screen and I didn't see that it was coming up right away.  Crapola...okay,  recalculating,  5 min is added to the time...still okay.  Heart rate slows,  breathe again.

Interview was fine.  Meet hubby for lunch,  have some time to kill.  Run to the mall to get my newest niece a "congrats on being born" gift.  Head to second interview.
As mentioned,  I had already programmed both addresses into the GPS,  so I turn it on...and get startled by the voice coming from the GPS.  Hubby who thinks he's so funny has changed it from the nice soothing lady that tells me when to turn....is now Dr. Nightmare (no joke,  that's what the name is)

This isn't our GPS,  but you get the idea.  He also laughs,  and when you decide to go a different direction than the GPS is suggesting,  he says..."Let me check my magic book".

Get to second interview.  I have some time,  good thing because I go into the wrong building first.  Whatever,  I figure it out.  Interview goes well.

Head downtown to sell some Rob Zombie tickets that C won,  we're not really Rob Zombie and Slayer people...but hey,  some people are and if you list them on Kijiji,  you get cash for something that was free.  Much needed since I'm unemployed.

Stop at H&R Block on the way home to pick up our taxes,  yuck...I hate taxes.  Wallet it gone.

Unbelievable.  This day has already had enough stress....and now MY WALLET IS GONE!?!!?   I have never lost or had my wallet stolen.  I can't take our taxes,  being that I have no cards and I should keep the concert ticket cash as now it's all I have to live on it seems.  This day should be done,  I cannot handle the extremes of it anymore.

Head home,  check the car a bazillion more times...no idea where it is.  Must have dropped it because I bought the gift for my niece,  then went to interview then home.  I've called all those places....nope.

It's unnerving to think that someone might have something as personal as my wallet.  All my ID,  credit cards, bank cards,  birth certificates,  new pack of stamps (grumble).  It's easy to cancel cards and have them re-issued...a bit expensive to get new driver's license and birth certificates,  but all possible.  But to have something gone that I've had for nearly 20 years, (I think if you can say anything "for 20 years"...you're getting old,  just sayin) the same wallet for that long....I don't like that.  

I'm hoping that a nice person picked it up and will look at my DL and mail to me.  I've done that before,  doesn't karma owe me one?  UGHGHGHGHG.

So,  goodbye day.  Thanks for the good interviews,  I hope to hear from them soon....no thanks for the stress,  for the invasion of my privacy and for the toasted sub for lunch that scraped the top of my mouth!

1 comment:

  1. When Matt was looking for a job and he applied at some of the fast food chains, they called him for an interview and then when the interview was done told him that he was over qualified? How can a person be over qualified to flip burgers or take cash? I don't get it either. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete