Sep 24, 2008

~ Remedy ~

It's been a while since I offended anyone, so it's time to remedy that situation.

Brought back by popular demand.....my top ten irritations of the week....or just random thoughts.

Pull up a chair, get comfortable, and prepare yourselves. Those of you who know me well are ready to smile and roll your eyes, maybe even laugh a little, those of you that don't....please don't email me with your grievances...this blog is read at your own risk.

1. Fall Premiers - my favorite time of the TV season. My favorites return and new ones are presented that may be added to my list. So far on the 'I will now PVR this show' list are;

Fringe - this is X-Files meets Alias. Created by JJ Abrams (Alias, Lost) it is weird and head scratching, which is why I enjoy it. Nothing ever really seems to get wrapped up. So the first episode has people's faces melting off, and the next one has a women get pregnant and deliver within a couple hours. That would rock hey? Wanna add to our family?....sure, what are you doing around 3:00...not too much, k...I'll just throw a load in the laundry and then we'll have a baby this afternoon. Sounds good.

The Cleaner - this is a A&E show staring Benjamin Bratt. First of all, he's nice to look at. This show is not for the faint of heart. It's about an interventionist. So it's pretty graphic with the drug and alcohol use and the effect on people and their families. Interesting though.

Amazing Race 13 - starts Sunday. This is ranked in my top 5 favorite shows, I'm going to be on this show one day. When I'm a US Citizen, and reside in the US....but one day.

And of course all the regulars... Grey's, ER, Jon & Kate...

A new one that I've have PVR'd but haven't watched yet is The Mentalist. This one has Simon Baker who I loved in The Guardian. He was also in The Devil Wears Prada. Also a pretty boy. Don't know if this is good yet.

Then there are the shows that I personally do not corrupt my PVR with...if you do, that's fine....just sayin. Not a fan of Big Brother, never really got into Heroes or Lost, Survivor is so predictable that it's really only about watching people fight in exotic locations. I've heard House is good, have a couple of those taped...B enjoys Law & Order and all their spin offs, he's also a fan of Two and Half Men and Terminator.

2. Though it would seem that I watch a lot of TV, in fact I don't really. I tape a lot of TV and watch it in my 'veg out and assume the coma position' times. Lately I've been reading a lot. Book after book. As you've seen here with the recent book reviews, and the addition of the "Currently Reading" icon. I have always loved reading....but lately it's a must. So I've been lurking around on the blogs of dedicated book worms. I can't believe how much some of them are able to read, I guess they don't do anything else.....or are super speed readers. I've thought of taking up reading while driving on the highway. It's a long span of time that you're doing nothing else except looking forward....still thinking about that one.

3. We're de-junking. Major de-junking. It started about two weeks ago with the kids rooms. How a child can accumulate so much crap in one room is beyond me. I know, my mother is rolling her eyes and saying "Apples doesn't drop far from the tree". I'm a hoard, I know. Though not as bad as that lady on Oprah once that had 13 dumpster of garbage and stuff in her home. That's C-R-azy! So the As-Is section of our local recycling depot has seen a few loads of our stuff. 14 years can collect a lot of stuff. Much of it is things we're no longer using, or should have gotten rid of long ago.....then there are the pictures. How do you throw away pictures of your darling babies in all their cuteness. We didn't acquire a digital camera until the second one was 3 or so...so there are many years prior of our life. So they're in a box...taking up space....but I'm a mother, I'm supposed to be sentimental.

4. We're adding to our family this weekend. Not a child...unless I've been injected with the virus from Fringe that makes you reproduce in 90 minutes. Not a dog, the world may implode before my husband allows that. We're assuming, recruiting and inviting my 19 yr old cousin to live with us for a couple months. I know what you're thinking......why? Well there are some details best left un-detailed. Let's just say... 'because'. So that has stepped up our de-junking. We have to clear out a room for her. Yet again, we have a lot of junk. Start with the stuff you have to keep like financial records and such. There's at least two boxes there. Then there's craft stuff, fabric and various Martha Stewart supplies that you always must have on hand. So I presently sit in a disaster. What was an over crowded room that we term the 'office'....but would actually be more accurately termed 'the catch all crap from the whole house room'...has been pulled a part today. Progress was made, but now I'm tired...and I'm not doing it all myself. The big boy can come home and help me...not all this mess is mine.

5. Why must we keep every box that every electronic device came in. Are we going to package up the children and send them away to be received in mint condition? We have a fair amount of electronics at this house, and some of them large....we also have all the boxes. B says he'll purge and let go of his love and affection for them. I figure either the boxes go or he does, we'll see which one he picks.

6. Also, was their a cord sale on at some time? Cause we have a massive amount of cords. Many are serving their life mission and are attached to devices and providing life sustaining power while inflating our electricity bill. But others, they're everywhere. Maybe we could store them in the electronics boxes, or maybe I'll hang my husband with them to just show how I feel about their presence in our home.

7. Toys. Are they really necessary. Let the children play in the electronics boxes. We, of course, like every other family in the universe have a lot of toys. We don't even buy toys except on birthdays and at Christmas. But you multiply the receiving by 4 children and that's a lot of toy paraphernalia that comes into this house. No more toys. They can play with boxes and cords.

8. Clothes - are they necessary? 4 children = a lot of clothes. They only have what they need. Okay maybe the girl has more than she needs...but give me some slack, I only have one girl to dress up. In an attempt to save money I keep the clothes that the boys grow out of to hand down to the next brother. This has worked well, but the interim times require space and totes. There was quite a waiting period between boy #1 and #2. 7 years is a while to store clothes. Fortunately though boy #2 & #3 are much closer in age and size. In face as soon as #2 grows out of them they go straight into #3's closet. I'm happy to report that our boys have recently acquired a new male cousin...the totes are going to their house = )

9. Paper. How does a household accumulate so much paper. The children bring home loads of it from school everyday. We recycle all we can...but some has detailed info about us. You can't recycle this stuff....identity theft and all. So the shredder has been whirling to eat up all the info about us. I'm considering identity theft though. Seems like a good way to live. Don't like your life, start living someone else's. I'm thinking of Madonna or Celine. I can't sing, but they seem to have rather high pay cheques, I'm going to assume their lives. Can you send me some of your unshredded garbage please?!

10. And finally, El Rancho. This is a little off topic, but that's where I had the unique experience to sleep this past weekend. Not Best Western, not Ramada. No, the 16 hotels in the metropolis of Lethbridge were all full. El Rancho it was. The name alone should imply the quality. It was clean, but that's all I have for positive details. El Rancho, look it up.... no don't.

Took a while for me to get going, must be out of practise. Will have to be more prudent in my top 10 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment